Arthritic pain is something no person (or animal!) wants to deal with. Stiff, sore joints that leave you unable to partake in your favorite physical activities are not only uncomfortable, but discouraging. Luckily, people dealing with arthritis have many solutions to manage sudden aches and pains when they arise - anti-inflammatory herbal remedies, specific exercises, and in some cases, prescription medications. But have you ever thought about your furry loved ones who have the same problem?
Sure, your veterinarian may make you aware of your pet's arthritis and even provide you medication to administer to them, but animals can't speak. If your dog's arthritis is being especially bothersome one day, it's not as easy for them to find relief as it is for someone like you and I. So what can you do to make sure your wet-nosed companion is never uncomfortable? Let them snack on these home-made, anti-inflammatory dogs treats for extra relief from joint pain!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of Moringa Source Turmeric Powder
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of ground flax seed
- 1 & 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop your raw sweet potatoes up the best you can.
- This step is up to you: microwave/boil/bake your sweet potatoes until they are soft enough to be mashed.
- Use a mixer or food processor to mash your sweet potatoes until they are creamy and smooth.
- Mix in your turmeric powder, maple syrup, egg, and olive oil.
- Slowly add in your flax seed and flour until your mix has a dough-like consistency.
- Flatten your dough over a cutting board, so that it is about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Choose your favorite cookie cutters, and begin cutting your dog treats out of the dough.
- Place your dog treats on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper, and bake them for about 20 minutes, flipping them at the 10 minute mark.
- Let them cool, and throw one to your dog to make his day! :)
What Makes These Dog Treats Effective In Battling Painful Inflammation?
Turmeric: Most commonly known for its bright orange-yellow color, turmeric is a plant that has been used in Chinese and Indian culture for centuries in both medicinal and culinary practices. Numerous studies have found that it is extremely effective in reducing inflammation, as it contains over 2 dozen anti-inflammatory compounds. Among these compounds are 6 that work specifically to prevent and reduce pain, swelling, joint stiffness, and inflammation.
Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are hearty in vitamins and nutrients such as beta-carotene, alpha-tocopherol, ascorbic acid, manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. When this combination of nutrients comes together, they act as powerful antioxidants that can help to reverse the effects of inflammation, providing relief to those suffering from arthritis.
Leave a comment